Wolfgang and Ulrich,

> Hi Ulrich,
>
> thanks for the hint!  I have commented out the line in autoexec.bat
> which loads the UIDE.SYS cdrom driver.  Now there is no problem
> accessing the floppy images.

This sounds to me as if VirtualBox is NOT posting the "media change"
bits for a floppy-disk in the BIOS, when the floppy-disk is changed.
Needless to say, UIDE requires those bits!   Nor is UIDE designed to
use any other way of detecting a floppy-disk change (if any such way
exists), since the "media change" bits have been part of all PC BIOS
programs from about 1985 onward.

I suggest you "Have another LONG chat!" with the creators of Virtual
Box, who seem to live in their own world and seem to IGNORE a lot of
pre-existing PC hardware conventions "Whenever it suits them!".

Jack R. Ellis