Hi,
   Did you ever get a response for this? Not sure why I seem to have
ignored it. I guess I didn't want to overstep my bounds or step on any
toes (for more qualified people).

Well, whatever, lemme add some comments anyways.

On Wed, Jun 6, 2012 at 5:57 AM, JPT <j.p...@gmx.net> wrote:

> let's continue where I stopped a year ago. ;)
>
> I tried fdupdate to update my 1.1 installation.
> But, the DOS PC is still offline. I don't have a spare network cable. Is
> there any way to tell fdupdate/fdpkg where to find the files locally?

Since I too often don't have networking in native DOS, I've never
relied on FDupdate. Presumably it can (or could) do so, but I don't
know the specifics. I don't know if it updates your install or
(presumably) only the .ZIP files themselves.

> I believe there are a lot of packages that are not yet in the 1.1
> format? Do I have to install them manually?

Yes, you pretty much have to install or update things manually. I hate
to say it, but FDupdate seems like a failed experiment. What
(relatively) few packages it has are already outdated and obsoleted,
and pretty much nobody lately (year or two or three) has much updated
the .ZIPs on the "temporary" repository on iBiblio. Lemme find it for
you, but I know some of it is horribly old (no offense). I guess it's
too much work for too few volunteers.

> to, mh... maintain the installed software, ie add, remove?
> fdpkg? how does it know here to fetch the packages from?

Dunno, presumably (heh, sorry) it has a list of URLs somewhere. Like I
said, I hate to say it, but it just seems like a failed experiment,
not enough volunteers to keep it up to date, etc.

http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/files/fdupdate/

"Total packages: 110" (eh?)

EDIT: (outdated) p7zip, biew, cwsdpmi, debug, devload, doszip, edlin,
fasm, jemm386, kernel, md5sum, mkeyb, nasm, testdisk/photorec, unrar,
upx, xcdrom/xdma, ... (probably more) ... Most volunteers prefer to do
other things, even me (though I mostly try to keep things updated
elsewhere).

P.S. Honestly, even though FreeDOS typically comes with a lot of
stuff, you don't need most of it (for average use), and most people
don't want "all" of it anyways. So maybe it's not worth the hassle.
Just selectively install what you want. Unlike Linux and shared libs
and ever-changing APIs, DOS is pretty stable as-is, so it doesn't rely
on updating external dependencies as much, hence a package manager
isn't as crucial.