Hi,

On Mon, Jun 25, 2012 at 11:46 PM, Marco Achury <marcoach...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I think "official" freedos release must be just 2 or 3 "floppies", as MSDOS
> was
>  Boot system + basic drivers and tools (and both, cdrom and floppy image are
> required).

Well, depends on how simplistic you want to make it. I personally
would rather have a liveCD than "install only", but then again, it's a
lot more work, much much more.

Just deciding what to put on the floppies is half the job, then
deciding how the heck to cram it on in is the other half!

And it's hard to update and regenerate everything. I guess Linux
distros have things more streamlined, they can generate and rebuild on
the fly. We don't have any fancy build servers or scripts (that I know
of, anyways).

> No package manager needed for this "base system"

Assuming someone keeps it updated, which may not always happen!

> Aditional to this, the community or any interested user can release cdroms
> with
> software collections.  Such collections may include a package manager or a
> centralized install menu but is not required.

Right, but it's always a lot of work, a lot to keep track of.

> Simpler to understand and mantain.  Any person will install only the apps
> really need, and the install or update of "base system" is simple and quick

I guess the desire is low due to real gurus already doing it manually.
Others probably can't be bothered with the tedium, arcane knowledge,
lots of testing, etc.

P.S. I'm not saying it's a bad idea, just tedious, somewhat
complicated, exhausting without some more volunteers, hard to decide
what to put where and how. Plus, honestly, you'll get no sympathy for
floppies anymore. That alone is probably the weakest idea (though I'm
not totally opposed). And hardware changes so fast, sometimes I wonder
if it's worth it. Bah.