Hi,

On Thu, Jul 5, 2012 at 2:09 PM, C. Masloch <c...@bttr-software.de> wrote:

>> Well, the whole point of FreeDOS existing at all is that MS dropped
>> the ball, and they wanted a free alternative that they could update
>> and share freely.
>
> ... which does not necessitate strong copyleft, as we all know. It also
> does not necessitate that language choice, actually. I'm aware of
> pragmatic reasoning for both though, you merely didn't make it explicit
> here.

Originally it was PD-DOS, but they quickly changed that. I can only
blindly guess why since I wasn't personally involved back then.

GPLv2 has (by far) the most developers among open source-ish licenses,
so you have to go with the flow if you want their help.

>> GPL isn't bad,
>> per se, just annoying, too long, and I'm tired of reading endless
>> arguments about its finer points (just code, damn it, screw the
>> license, who cares? just make it public, free for all, it's not
>> munitions, for freak's sake, lighten up, blah).
>
> This is not at all how I would criticise the GPL, any variant.

It's only my opinion, so I obviously don't expect you to mirror it.

> It's amusing, actually. I /should/ prefer copyleft. I'm aware of the
> involved trade-off, regarding (conceptually intended) individual and
> collective freedoms, or that is, (more directly) freedoms as experienced
> by a specific recipient against freedoms associated with a specific text.
> Copyleft appears very much like an ingenious compromise that I should
> appreciate.
>
> And yet intuitively it just doesn't feel right. I've not yet found anyone
> who could convince me to overcome that.

I find it results in much wasting of time and ends up with pointless
arguing about legalities instead of more code patches. (For that
reason, I probably won't be endlessly discussing this here.) It would
probably be easier just to let everyone focus on actual goals, but
that's apparently impossible in some cases. GPL neither solves all
problems nor avoids them all either (and wasn't meant to, either).

You can't please everyone. Easier just to do your own thing, not take
things too seriously, cooperate when possible, etc.