I'm missing something here.

The big restriction that a GPL license imposes is copyleft.  If you use
GPL code *AND* you distribute your work then you have to make your
source code available too.  You can profit from your work and the work
of others but you can't hide your changes.

In the case of an author making a change to GPLed work (and distributing
it) that just means they need to make their changes available, usually
as a patch.  Presumably the author benefited from having the original
work available and it is quite reasonable for them to continue the chain
of generosity.  Anything that  propagates the "golden rule" is a good thing.

Other licenses may be more free in that they have less restrictions,
including the copyleft.  Microsoft benefited when they picked up the BSD
derived TCP/IP code and applications and didn't have to pass any changes
along.  That's great for them, but that's not the kind of commercial
activity I want to support.  If somebody uses open source code, they
should be willing to show their changes for others to build on.

I have been a user of open source code (GPL) for over 20 years now
starting with early versions of gcc.  Before I released my own code
under the GPL v3 I was paid by a major corporation with three initials
to write open source code, usually under GPL2.  That same corporation
was a major player in open source and spent a lot of time making sure
they complied with the rules, including redistribution of changes.  It
works for them and it works for a lot of other people.   I find it hard
to imagine how something so simple gets twisted up in meta discussions.

Show me where somebody was harmed by the copyleft provisions of GPL
licenses ..  and not just having their feelings hurt.

Mike