Hi,

On Wed, Sep 26, 2012 at 5:22 PM, Jim Hall <jh...@freedos.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 17, 2012 at 1:11 AM, nospam <nos...@georgpotthast.de> wrote:
>
>> Rugxulo has made a single floppy FreeDOS image called BARE_DOS that works
>> well:
>> https://sites.google.com/site/rugxulo/
>>
>> Georg
>
> FYI: I've also mirrored Rugxulo's BARE_DOS to
> http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/files/distributions/unofficial/bare_dos/

Not sure why, esp. this much later, heh, but it's useful, I suppose.
(But like all things, it too could use an update, argh. And sources
could've been easier to grab, e.g. bundled, but that was back when I
was very disorganized. Yet another distraction. It had a list of URLs,
and 99% should be easy to find, but it's less than ideal, I admit.)

> I don't use a floppy drive anymore, so I can't say how well this
> works. Georg thinks it works well.

I have a USB floppy drive, but I haven't used it lately.

I dunno, seems pointless, very few care. Even if I bothered, honestly
things change too fast. It's just easier to update things upstream or
provide patches and let people "roll their own" than trying to update
binary images ten bazillion times.

> If others think this is a good
> FreeDOS floppy "mini-distro", I'll link to it from the Downloads page
> on www.freedos.org.

Like I told Eric, the best way would be to make the smallest, most
useful boot disk possible with minimal dependencies and hopefully very
few things would become outdated. Then make everything else plain
.ZIPs that can be unzipped manually if someone wants more than bare
minimum.

So, roughly speaking, the main (bootable) disk would be:

KERNEL, FreeCOM, XMGR, JEMMEX, UIDE, CTMOUSE, DOSLFN, UNZIP16,
7ZDECODE, EDIT, SYS, FDISK, FORMAT, DISKCOPY, FDXMS286, HDPMI16,
CWSDPMI, DOS32A, CWSTUB, XCOPY, SHCDX33F, RDISK, ....

I know you and Eric prefer "BASE" plus some stuff from "UTIL", so
maybe that's more comprehensive. But I can't remember everything, so I
don't know what that would omit or how big it would be. But surely
something like KERNEL + COMMAND.COM is way too minimal. It should at
least be able to install to hard disk and copy its own disk.

It's just honestly a lot to think about. Maybe I'm overthinking it,
maybe I need to build QEMU for my Linux machine for testing (or use
one of the Win32 alpha builds I've seen online) for easier updating.
It's just somewhat exhausting, heh, esp. for someone like me who
always starts too many minor projects.    ;-)