windows xp can and will corrupt files until activation.
while this is partially avoidable by quickpar and/or multipar,
the problem will persist by design 'til you activate.
(it's easy over the toll-free phone number provided).

i avoid the problem by getting a cheap copy of xp
for a dell, (works with other, though!) with unused serial sticker, over ebay,
and just activating it. presto: no more data trubbles forever!

like it or not, you can't use xp without problems
until you buy it, and activate it like microsoft wants,
but then when you do, it's rock solid and exhibits zero
data corruption. you get what you pay for.

freeware the cost is zero.

been there, done that.
proof positive.
rock solid, no exception(s).