I had "Warcraft II Tides of Darkness", is a DOS program, I used to run
this program on a Win95 machine with 16 MB of RAM.   Windows is required
in order to run scenary editor, but the game itself is a DOS program.

As long as I know "Warcraft II battle net edition" is a newer version,
but I have not experience with that.

There is a free alternative to warcraft II, "Freecraft" running on
linux, is not more under active development, with this program you can
to open .mud scenary files from Warcraft.

I have used freecraft, runs great  on a 160 Mb machine, using Damn Small
Linux, freecraft is available as package from DSL web.

Marco A. Achury
Tel: +58-(212)-6158777
Cel: +58-(414)-3142282
Skype: marcoachury