Hi,

On Sat, Apr 20, 2013 at 5:11 PM, Geraldo Netto <geraldone...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Browsing web out there i found BEYE [1]

Yes, I'm aware of it, but it hasn't been updated in a few years. It's
formerly known as BIEW (a clone of Hacker's View) with a few bugs
(esp. disasm), but it's still pretty good.

> According to wiki [2]
> "BEYE (Binary EYE) is a multiplatform, portable viewer of binary files
> with a built-in editor that functions in binary, hexadecimal and
> disassembler modes.
>
> [3]
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/beye/files/biew/6.1.0/biew-610-dos32.zip/download

It's been a while since I've used it. IIRC, the default DOS compile is
686+ only, hence I think I ended up recompiling (and attaching to bug
report) for 386+ with DJGPP:

http://sourceforge.net/p/beye/bugs/_discuss/thread/1a3c5be2/0ae5/attachment/biew610.zip

> Maybe we could add it to FreeDOS DEVEL software list?
>
> What do you think?

I don't know, isn't "DEVEL" usually for software development, aka
programming? Sure, it's useful for binary hacking / viewing, but it's
less crucial to vanilla programming with a compiler / interpreter.
(Maybe "EDIT" would be better, but it's a bit more niche usage than
plain text editing.)

I'm not sure if Jim Hall would agree to import this to the .LSM
database or not. I could probably do it (maybe), but it's probably
easier to just let end users grab it themselves.   ;-)   (Several text
editors also support binary hex editing and a few standalone tools
have been written recently, e.g. hexed and uhex.)

P.S. It seems it's already available for FreeDOS (at least package)
via http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/files/fdupdate/biew.zip
.