>>> I'm surprised you have to question this!
>>after ~12 years without anybody complaining, I'm surprised about you
>> complaining.

> How many users do you have ?
I have no idea - and don't care.

> Of these, how many understands this level of detail, /and/ in addition, will
> care ?
answering this question would imply that /you/ understand the problem.
you don't.

> Methinks you were p.ssed off by my remarks, but there is nothing
> personal to them. Who is , or are, the 'appointed maintainer(s)' for
> FreeCOM ? Are you one of them ?
'appointment' would imply structure, leadership, organisation, ...
none of this is currently happening.

I just wrote the code to put the environment where it is (in 2001),
that's all. and it's placed where it is for a *very* good reason.
just think a bit about it

>> the FreeDOS kernel relocates the XBDA.

> Really ? Will it ? The kernel I'm using will /not/ do it, certainly not by
> default.
this is either a bug, or your XBDA behaves somewhat different. an
unrelated story.

>> *then* config.sys processing happens; possibly some driver maps a000-
>> b7ff as conventional memory

>> *then* comes command.com, and maps it's environment as high as
>> possible. if b7ff is available, it will load it's environment there.
>>if  ef00 is available, it's loaded there.

> Why these latter limits would be thus hard-coded is beyond me.
b7ff is shorter then 'the highest location in conventional memory'

>>it was easier to do it the way it is, and so far nobody
>>complained.

> HA ! Sincerity itself, at last! Now this I /can/ understand, and even
> sympathise with :=)  Not in line with what Dennis wrote, though...
there are always people with more time and energy to write then knowledge to
write about :(

>> that's a pretty good design decision.

> Only for so long as no one disputes it :=)... FreeCOM can't claim
> MS-Command.com compatibility until time it has an option, and
> I would suggest, the /default/, to allocate the master env block from
> the bottom, instead of the top of conventional mem.

> Besides, I hardly see how it was "easier", your word, for FreeCOM to do
> it in the current way. I'd rather suspect whoever made the decision,
*I*
> back when, was confused,
*no*

> similar to how DM Cunney remained somehow
> apparently confused to this day.
;)

> Casually peeking at Freecom source, branch MAIN, init.c v 1.31,

> Freecom's  rev 1.31 (Excerpt, from Sourceforge CVS, w/ line numbers)
> [code]
> 437       env_resizeCtrl |= ENV_USEUMB | ENV_ALLOWMOVE | ENV_LASTFIT;
> 438       if(forceLow)
> 439               env_resizeCtrl &= ~ENV_USEUMB;
> 440       if(newEnvSize > 16 && newEnvSize < 32767)
> 441         env_setsize(0, newEnvSize);
> [/code]

> et caetera, etc...

> I'm not an expert in C, not even close to a novice...
good find.

> With this duly noted, it appears it won't be hard for you Freecom
> code contributors / revewers (is this not you, Tom E.?) to edit the above
> module and possibly a handful of dependencies so that FreeCOM eventually
> will request the environment block using "Firstfit" instead of "Lastfit"
> strategy, at least when allocating from low memory. I don't care as much
> if it uses "lastfit" when the request is effectively UMBs only, although
> I'm not sure what is to be gained by using 'lastfit' even in upper memory.

> Hoping someone will take the challenge,

left as an exercise to the reader. suffice it to say: you wouldn't like the
adverse effects.

Tom