Tom Ehlert wrote :

> sure your particular problem could be solved by freecom, but nobody
> will spend time on this.

Still, Rugxulo, I think, has suggested one could ping Bart Oldemann with the
question.

Now, after you have pointed out very plausibly that FreeCOM does not
hold "hidden" pointers to the master ENV, I must admit I do not see the
point originally made as crucial any more.

> it can be solved as well or better by a small external utility; just have
> the first line in autoexec.bat be ENVLOW.EXE.

Is that found in the FreeDOS distro ? Don't bother, I'll g00gle it...

This list's Macej brewed his own tiny, simple mover and sent a copy
for me to play with (thanks Macej).. It's amusing, but needs to be run several
times in a row to get a chance to relocate the ENV properly :=)

> and moving program code around is probably easier in ASM then in C

Undoubtably

> even better: you can do it yourself without learning C ;)

Great relief, that! C was not around when I educated myself to
programming in the 50s - early 60s,.by the way.

I intend to do mine indeed - unless the envlow you mentionned
is doing the job.

Macej's is good as a proof of concept but does not quite do what I want done,
which is leave no hole after it.

DOS memory ought not to look like Swiss cheese (gruyere)....

Hmm, question may be considered closed for the moment being.

Cheers

--
Czerno