I have a retail box copy of DESQview version 2.42 with all the
accompanying manuals.  In the error messages appendix says the
following about this error:

"The DESQview command you performed tried to read the indicated
DESQview file, but couldn't."

"If you decide the indicated file is bad, delete it and then reinstall
DESQview.  There is no harm in reinstalling DESQview over the same
version of an existing system."

In addition, it says:

"Sometimes, loading memory-resident programs prior to starting up
DESQview, or allocating too few DOS file handles (by the FILES command
in your CONFIG.SYS file), can cause this error.  Also, if DESQview
cannot find the .DVO (Open Window Menu) file this message will appear
as a Startup Message."

On an installation of this program that I have on an old computer, the
DESQVIEW.DVO file is 249 bytes.  You are correct that QEMM is not
required (at least for the version I have) because I am running
DESQview 386 using MS HIMEM.SYS and EMM386.EXE without problems.  This
is because some IBM drivers I have for this old computer would not
work with QEMM.

I don't know if this is of any help, but it's all I know about the
problem.  Good luck.