Hi again,

On Sun, Nov 3, 2013 at 9:21 AM, Miguel Garza <garz...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm playing with vim in FDOS. It's nice, but a bit slow in some respects,
> particulary when using its internal file-browser.

What internal file-browser? LIST? PG? MORE? EDIT? I have no idea, you
have to be more specific, there are too many pieces.

> I am running FDOS from a
> thumbdrive on a modern (well, only a few years old) computer. I added
> "DEVICE=...himemx.exe" to my config.sys file to fix a separate issue, which
> worked for that issue, but not for vim's slowness. Any ideas?

I don't actively use VIM. It's a great tool, though, and most people
(e.g. new://comp.editors) seemed to heavily prefer it over anything
else. Unfortunately, 7.2 dropped support for 16-bit DOS and 7.4
dropped DOS (DJGPP) entirely. (Though no huge surprise, they weren't
ever really interested. They still shipped CWSDPMI r4 years and years
after r5 and r7 were out, heh.) I don't know if VIM itself is slow for
what you're trying to do or if it really is just your setup being less
than optimal. In fact, maybe try deleting (r4) CWSDPMI.EXE if that's
in the same subdir as VIM.EXE, as it will actually use that by default
if found. r7 can be much faster (e.g. 2x) on modern machines (4 MB
pages).

I don't normally use vi for editing. Okay, I do use it
semi-frequently, but mostly I prefer TDE, just an old habit. I do use
VILE a lot on Linux (since the TDE build has keyboard issues there).
The DJGPP version is very very nice too, though it's not quite as
advanced as VIM in some ways (e.g. syntax highlighting). I only use
that rarely in DOS (e.g. VirtualBox, more keyboard bugs, heheh) though
it's great. It's not slow at all, and it's (also) way more than just a
minimal vi clone. In fact, it's roughly based upon MicroEmacs, so it
supports a lot of stuff that most "extended" vi clones support
(multiple buffers, windows, highlighting, etc).

There aren't a lot of other good DOS vi clones. Well, Elvis is only a
16-bit version, same with the XVI build I found a while back, same
with SteVIe. Unlikely that I would even pretend you should switch to
those (unless your setup needed it, of course). Okay, well GNU Emacs
has Viper (and 23.3 binaries exist for DJGPP), but that's probably
overkill (180 MB??) for what you want.