I tried putting "INSTALL=c:\apps\lbacac~1\bin\LBACACHE.COM" in my
config.sys file and I get an error:

STAK nest!? otherss = [a bunch of numbers and letters] [Repeats several
times]Bad or missing Command Interpreter: command.com /P /E:256
Enter the full shell Command line: [blinking cursor]

Which I don't know how to do so I just turned off the computer. On reboot
Windows ran an automatic chkdsk on my thumbdrive and fixed two files.

I'm a bit confused by the Ramdrive thing. I mean, I get the basic concept.
I take it I would be running Zim "inside" the ramdisk. But would I be able
to access files on "C:" (my thumbdrive) and automatically save those same
files to C: when I choose to do so, without having to manually write weird
directory commands? If not, sounds like too much hassle.

I will try the other cache programs...not sure if the Ramdrive thing is
worth it...I want to be able to use Vim like I would any other editor. Will
a Ramdrive let me do that?

Don't want to use PuppyLinux...don't want to use a full-blown GUI...

I tried deleting that other file from the Vim.exe directory...makes no
difference...

The built-in file browser in Vim that I'm referring to is netrw. It's a
plugin, but it ships with Vim 7, is their default browser for opening
files, deleting them, traversing directories, etc. If you want to get to
netrw in Vim, in Normal mode you type ":e ." without the quotes, for
example.

The funny thing is other programs in FDOS on my thumbdrive have no problem
traversing directories quickly. Like if I want to open a file from within
EDIT, or Microsoft Word 5.5, or any number of other programs. Heck, if I
run Necromancer's DOS Navigator, it has no problem being a quick file
browser...

Yeah, the reason I settled on Vim is because I wanted something quick and
easy like EDIT but that could reflow text (e.g. wordwrap without carriage
return symbols) like Notepad or Microsoft Word 5.5.