On Sun, May 4, 2014 at 5:17 PM, Rugxulo <rugx...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, May 3, 2014 at 6:29 PM, Ray Davison <ray...@charter.net> wrote:
>
>> What is available for reading NTFS used in WXP, W7?

NTFS was actually introduced in Win NT Workstation, and released to
consumers in Win2K, though I recall installing to FAT32 as a 2K
option.  I can't imagine why you would - NTFS is far more robust.

> I think you're barking up the wrong tree. But also I'm not experienced
> enough in trying all the various file systems and drivers and OSes. So
> maybe I am the wrong person to be replying here. I don't want to
> discourage you, just make sure you're asking the right questions.

I do too.  If you run DOS, assume you probably can't access non-FAT
file systems from it, and don't bother trying.

> I just think it's not well-supported, if at all, to read foreign file
> systems under DOS. There isn't a lot of active work in that area. I
> think it's not a priority. In other words, it's probably more
> reasonable (or at least more commonly accepted) to use a proper OS
> with proper first-party support for that file system, even if only to
> transfer the relevant data to a more suitable disk (or file system)
> for whatever OS you're trying to run (e.g. FAT32 for FreeDOS).

There are only about three solutions out there for reading NTFS from
DOS, and all are memory intensive and may not let you do much else
when installed.

I have FreeDOS an an ancient notebook, along with Win2K and a couple
of flavors of Linux.  Win2K is on an NTFS partition. Linux is on ext4.
 FreeDOS is on FAT32.  Linux can see the NTFS Win2K partition. 2K and
Linux can see the FAT32 partition. I found an open source Windows
driver that provides read/write access the the Linux ext4 slices.
FreeDOS can only see its own FAT32 partition, but I don't care.  I
have no need to access the Windows or Linux slices from it.

> Even Linux only "mostly" supports NTFS (r/w) except for compression
> and encryption, last I heard. FreeBSD might have support for HPFS too,
> but it may be readonly.

IIRC, Linux supports compressed NTFS volumes.  I make use of NTFS
compression (since it can be applied at the directory level), and I
don't recall problems trying to read compressed stuff on NTFS from the
Linux side. (I don't use NTFS encryption.)
______
Dennis
https://plus.google.com/u/0/105128793974319004519