I  too have always used xp on fat! As for ide to sata adapter, the sata
machine is too cramped to fit it. As for "wipe", is that a dos app? Are you
sure it could remove the HPA partition? I have already used a bootable
cd with active killdisk to wipe the drive, but, ostensibly, regular wipers
cannot even access the HPA to delete it. I know 'hdparm' can do it at low
level access. Trust me, the ide machine is kaput!.