Have you read this information about HPA (host protected area) on Wikipedia?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Host_protected_area

It might provide some help with removing it.  However, I suspect that
the problem is as you have assumed that it can't be done with an
usb-to-ide adapter because of the way the firmware of the adapter
accesses the hard drive.

There are also very compact sata-to-ide adapters like this:

http://www.amazon.com/PSATA-Ultra-SATA-Converter-Adapter/dp/B003AG5CN6/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1400254863&sr=8-15&keywords=sata+to+ide

that might allow you to fit it in your computer. However, I am not
recommending this particular item. I have brought one myself in the
past and it does work with IDE hard drives, but I could not get it to
work with IDE CD-ROMs (as is depicted in the ad). It is a tricky
little piece of hardware to use and you have to be careful with it
(read the comments with the ad). But, if your lucky to get a good one,
it does allow connecting an IDE hard drive in a SATA machine with very
limited space. It requires a 5 volt connector for power like is used
on the old 3.5 inch floppy drives, so you may need an additional power
adapter beyond what comes with the package to use it.