> So, even though I can't access the hard drive in Freecdos,
you can access the harddrive from FreeDOS
> the firmware update should work?
I don't have the faintest idea if the firmware update will work, but
YES

> On Thursday, July 17, 2014 7:57 PM, tomehlert <t...@tomehlert.de> wrote:

>> As I mentioned earlier, Freedos requires a ATA legacy mode in BIOS, which I
>> don't have.
> wrong.

>> Found this in the archives
>> http://sourceforge.net/p/freedos/mailman/message/26625851/

>>  "UIDE/UIDEJR can run AHCI drives on mainboards that have a "legacy" or
>> "native IDE"
>>  setting for AHCI controllers, i.e. the drives can be addressed
>> using standard SATA/IDE I-O logic."

> right.  UIDE doesn't work on AHCI controllers - and isn´t required for
> FreeDOS.
> FreeDOS is perfectly happy without UIDE.
> (UIDE might even get in the way of updating your HD firmware.)

> AS SAID BEFORE
>> search for RUFUS (RUFUS_v1.2)
>> install to USB key

>> add your WD files
>> boot from USB key

> your  'update  HD  Firmware'  Software should take care about anything
> else (even only to tell you 'this software requires windows')

> Tom

>>>  On Thursday, July 17, 2014 1:01 PM, Bill Haught <wlhaughtpr...@att.net>
>>>wrote:
>>>

>>> Mine is a Western Digital WD10EALX.
>>  The file R313263.exe extracts
>>> to C:\dell\drivers\R313263.  The readme.txt in the directory is as follows:

>>> THE INFORMATION, FIRMWARE AND  TOOLS, AND ALL ASSOCIATED UPDATES
>>> AND MODIFICATIONS (THE “INFORMATION”), CONTAINED HEREIN IS PROVIDED
>>> ON AN “AS-IS” BASIS AND WD ASSUMES NO LIABILITY WHATSOEVER WITH
>>> RESPECT TO SUCH INFORMATION UNDER ANY CONTRACT, NEGLIGENCE, STRICT
>>> LIABILITY OR OTHER LEGAL OR EQUITABLE THEORY, EVEN IF WD HAS BEEN
>>> ADVISED ON THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES.
>>>
>>> WD EXPRESSLY DISCLAIMS ALL EXPRESS AND IMPLIED WARRANTIES IN
>>> CONNECTION WITH THE INFORMATION CONTAINED HEREIN, INCLUDING
>>> WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE
>>  AND
>>> INFRINGEMENT OF ANY PATENT, COPYRIGHT OR OTHER INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY RIGHT.

>>> Installation

>>> 1. Extract .zip file to a known path
>>> 2. Copy "WD.bat" and "WD4082.exe" to root directory of a bootable USB key.
>>> 3. Boot from USB key and ensure drive path includes WD.bat and WD4082.exe.
>>> 4. Type "WD" and hit "Enter".
>>> 5. Firmware update will provide messaging indicating successful update.