Am 01.09.2014 um 21:51 schrieb Michael Brutman <mbbrut...@brutman.com>:

> On 9/1/2014 12:30 PM, Tom Ehlert wrote:
>> any good reason mTCP and DHCP can't update/use WATTCP.directly ?
>>
>> imho there should be a *single* network configuration file, used by
>> *all* network stuff on the machine.
>>
>> changing mTCP to understand WATTCP.CFG is trivial. (WATTCP.CFG has
>> been around for ages, and mTCP is under active development, so mTCP
>> should learn to understand WATTCP.CFG)
>
> I took a look at the WATTCP configuration file once and I found some
> extra things in there that could complicate things, so I moved along.

The idea to add a "/W" option to DHCP.EXE sounds really nice. At first glance.

But after the "/W" for WATTCP.CFG, a "/N" option might also be a good idea -
why not translate the same network values into environment settings for NTCPDRV
programs?

And then add a "/MS" option, to put them into Microsofts PROTOCOL.INI too
(nobody understood "DisableDHCP=0" anyway).

:-)

This was irony.

> I wrote mTCP from scratch before I was aware of WATTCP.  I can count on
> my fingers the number of times I've used WATTCP apps since I've become
> aware of it.

I needed a working WATTCP.CFG because I wanted a working FDNPKG.

VirtualBox uses NAT networking per default. The WATTCP.CFG in FreeDOS 1.1
configures DHCP per default. WATTCP programs do not seem to recognize the DHCP
server used by VirtualBox NAT.

So FDNPKG will not work in VirtualBox.

At least not out of the box. :-)

FDNPKG is a promising idea how to get, install and update FreeDOS programs. It
is a WATTCP app. So if it goes into FreeDOS 1.2, you might need more fingers in
the future. ;-)

> Another option would be to just fix the WATTCP code so that it handles
> DHCP better.  Has anybody looked into that?

Maybe it's the other way around? The problem wouldn't occur, if FDNPKG would
use mTCP HTGET (or at least the code) to download the packages instead of the
old WATTCP stack. Why fix old code, when there's brilliant new code for
brilliant new programs? But this might be just a users point of view.

Anyway: For the moment the problem seems to be solved. VirtualBox users can use
M2WAT.COM and maybe it also goes into a future FreeDOS version, so most users
will never have to think about WATTCP.CFG again.

Ulrich