Again I respect that others mileage varies.
And your comment about the debian forum generated a laugh.  Amen brother!
In no way do  I wish  to suggest  freedos is not a fine system for some. it
is just not a fine system for me.
I have almost 27 years of programs files software and the like  invested in
the ms edition of DOS.
I still wish to sort of test drive freedos utilities.  For example I
would love to try the most current freedos utility for long file names.
But I am not a code reading kind of girl.  My computers are tools and I
trust them to function, say like a pencil when I reach for them.
If something goes wrong I know the reason why fairly swiftly  and knowing
me I would fall in that 2 % of freedos incompatibility.
On the weekend  the machine presently holding Linux debian will be
converted to    my main dos computer, with this one open for
experimenting.
I personally, again speaking for myself, do not regard DOS as Legacy the
way  freedos is presented to the public.
There is almost nothing I require doing with my main computer that cannot
be  done with what I amusing.
Whenever I have asked here in the past about a task working in freedos I am
swiftly referred to something else...which speaks volumes for how
seriously, again to me  at least, those working on the system  take their
efforts.

Karen