Hi again,

On Wed, Jun 3, 2015 at 4:56 AM, Don Flowers <donr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks Mateusz, I will report this to Info-Zip

I don't know why you would contact them. It's probably not their bug.
In fact, I don't think it's a bug at all! Also, keep in mind that we
have no idea whether they still "maintain" (esp. for DOS) any of their
tools anymore. They haven't had a release since 2009!

You still didn't tell us which version you're using. There are both
16-bit and 32-bit DOS builds (unzip.exe and unzip32.exe). Try "unzip
-v" to show you which is which. Most people are using 5.52 or 6.00 by
now. I know I am.

> On Wed, Jun 3, 2015 at 5:55 AM, Don Flowers <donr...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I am currently running kubuntu 14.04 , 14.10 and Zorin OS 9 (14.04) but
>> this started as early as 12.04. It is not the mirror per se - I can go back
>> to what I thought was a bad download and (pk)unzip it and it turns out to be
>> complete.

The Simtel mirror I've been using lately (lots, without any errors) is
"ftp.sunet.se/pub/simtelnet/msdos".

You can find Unzip 5.52 and 6.00 binaries for DOS ("x3") at various places:

1a). ftp://ftp.info-zip.org/pub/infozip/msdos/unz552x3.exe
1b). ftp://ftp.info-zip.org/pub/infozip/msdos/unz600x3.exe

2a).
http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/files/util/file/info-zip/unzip/old/unz552x3.exe
2b).
http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/files/util/file/info-zip/unzip/unz600x3.exe

3). ftp://ftp.sac.sk/pub/sac/pack/unz552x3.exe

Generally speaking, if you download a file, it may or may not have
been modified by whomever you're grabbing it from. Sometimes that
means an innocuous .ZIP comment, but otherwise it could also mean
something like an unpopular compression method (Shrink? Reduce? Bzip2?
LZMA?) or even accidental (official) errors or various other quirks
(filename case or extra fields or whatnot). So, while it's not 100%
foolproof, you should check the checksum (often crc32 or md5sum) of
the actual archive file itself. The internal CRC32 for a single file
is better than nothing but still very weak.

http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/files/util/file/md5sum/md5sumx.zip

What I'm trying to say is that I want you to point me to a few of
these "corrupted" files. Specifically, what URL (not just mirror or
individual filename)? And then I want you to run "md5sum file.zip",
and tell me what it says. And don't forget to tell me what "unzip -v"
(under DOS) says as well.