On 04/06/2015 01:58, John Hupp wrote:
> It occurred to me that this might be a cabling issue.

Possible, but the CD-sound card cable is a basic analog cable, so it's
really hard to connect it wrong. Often you have to enable the "CD" input
in your sound card mixer so the sound card actually listens to what the
CD says. Have you checked this?

> My latest thought, however: Does FreeDOS and/or a certain CD player
> support sending the sound digitally to the sound card over the ribbon
> cable and the PC bus, the way modern Windows does it?  In this case I
> can dispense with the cable.

As I wrote earlier already, MPXPLAY does exactly that (but it comes with
a higher CPU usage, than using hardware capabilities of your CD player
of course).

Mateusz