I like to play cds with SJGPlay which is a great dos cd player.
I also use PV and quickview to watch home movies. They
work well on my desktop but not on the laptop unless Windows
is there. I'm running DOS on cf chips without Windows.
I could also could use a method to control screen resolution.
The standard screen doctor dosn't seem to work here.

cheers
DS

On Wed, 3 Jun 2015 11:33:09 -0500 Rugxulo <rugx...@gmail.com> writes:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Jun 3, 2015 at 9:08 AM, Dale E Sterner <sunbeam...@juno.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > What I need for my Dell is a sound blaster pro driver that works
> on
> > an ESS chip without windows being there. Windows turns the chip on
> > somehow. The programs are for DOS running under windows. None of
> the
> > drivers are for dos alone, even if they claim to be. Add windows
> > the background and they work but who wants that.
>
> But what kinds of things are you trying to play on it?? What file
> formats or programs?? Are you just looking for a universal driver
> that
> emulates ye olde SB16 entirely (100%), thus working with (almost)
> all
> "classic" DOS software??
>
> Allegro 4.2.2 was the last DJGPP release, AFAIK. One of their
> examples
> was PLAY.EXE, which could play *.mid or *.voc or *.wav. I'm not sure
> if you need an additional PATCHES.DAT file (converted by pat2dat on
> Soundfont .sf2 or whatever) for your particular machine.
>
> Heck, maybe your machine isn't (properly) supported, dunno. All I'm
> saying is that one of the few well-supported libraries / toolsets
> was
> Allegro, so (generally speaking) it is one of the foremost things to
> test if you're trying to see if your sound hardware works under DOS.
>
> (Actually, I don't remember if PLAY.EXE was broken / regressed since
> Allegro 3.1.2. I had put the older .EXE on my RUFFIDEA, and it
> worked
> on my old AWE64, but that was years ago. No idea if either will
> truly
> work for you, but it's worth a shot. Well, 4.2.2's version works
> fine
> under DOSBox [SB16/OPL3], at least.)
>
> http://na.mirror.garr.it/mirrors/djgpp/current/v2tk/allegro/

http://www.delorie.com/djgpp/dl/ofc/current/v2tk/allegro/all422b.zip/alle