Thanks, but making that change did not make a difference.

I have also now edited the HOSTS file to add the server there, due to
what I read at
ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/misc1/BUSSYS/LANMAN/KB/Q130/5/38.TXT about not
being able to ping the server.  So I can indeed ping the server now, but
access is still denied for the net use command.