Fundamentals -- you may be onto something.  Though TCP/IP initialization
completes without error, running "ipconfig /all" yields "No DHCP data
available."  I get the same result from two identical cards, both
configured the same way.

I do note that both cards are old non-PNP ISA cards, which I thought
would be appropriate for this vintage rig.

In the meantime, in the Registry I changed
HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa\LMCompatibilityLevel=3 –> 0,
which is "Send LM & NTLM responses" per
https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj852207%28v=ws.10%29.aspx.
Then I rebooted.  But I still get the same error on the DOS client.

@ Roberto Fazzalari: I have been avoiding your approach to date since I
never had more than a rank novice's acquaintance with Wireshark.  But it
may be that I'll have to get reacquainted!