Ulrich:

If you really have an "MCB chain corrupted" error, you have a serious problem
and need to figure out what's causing it.  It's more than likely a device
driver or TSR that isn't compatible with FreeDOS for some reason (could be
INTERxxx or could be something else).

Eric/Tom:

I used to use INTERxxx a lot many years ago using the special parallel cables
designed for that purpose (I think I still have a couple of those cables in my
"spare cable box").  Parallel is MUCH faster than serial (null modem) cables.

I believe Eric is correct when he says INTERxxx is sector-based rather than
file-based as Tom states.  I do know that the client (INTERLNK) must be capable
of "understanding" the file system of the server (INTERSVR).  For example, if
the client is MS-DOS 6.2 (which doesn't understand FAT32) and the server is
MS-DOS 7.x (which does understand FAT32) and you're trying to access a FAT32
disk on the server, it doesn't work.  I know this for sure because I've tried
it.  If INTERxxx was file-based, it wouldn't matter which version of FAT was on
either computer (and could even work on non-FAT drives the server had mounted,
like CD's and network drives).

As a logical extension to the above, I don't think Eric is correct when he says
it will only work with 512-byte sectors, though I've never actually tried it.
I don't think it matters what the sector size is, as long as both computers can
"understand" the sector size.  For example, MS-DOS is compatible with large
sector sizes (larger than 512 bytes) with a little finagling, but FreeDOS is
not.  I suspect that INTERxxx would work with any sector size (whether bigger
or smaller than 512), as long as both OS's "understand" it.
Find your perfect car
Search 4.1 million listings
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/56b4c14aacfe2414a3382st01vuc