Hi,

On Wed, Mar 30, 2016 at 6:11 AM, matthew berardi
<matthewbera...@gmail.com> wrote:

> let's assume UEFI+GPT is the problem, how do I fix it?
>
> I do usually boot UEFI

But I'm not sure that all so-called UEFI machines even offer CSM, so
you may be out of luck.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unified_Extensible_Firmware_Interface#CSM_booting

Though it could also be your particular USB key doesn't support
booting. (Some few don't, but most do.) You may wish to try an
entirely different jump drive. (Or are you only testing hard drives??)

You could also try this guy's USB creation method:
http://joelinoff.com/blog/?p=431

If none of that works, you may be stuck with VMs. (But honestly,
that's not too horrible, they work pretty well these days, e.g. QEMU /
KVM, VBox, etc.) See here:
https://www.lazybrowndog.net/freedos/virtualbox/