Hi,

On Sun, May 15, 2016 at 1:34 PM, dmccunney <dennis.mccun...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, May 15, 2016 at 8:06 AM, Jerome E. Shidel Jr. <jer...@shidel.net>
> wrote:
>>
>> However, clause 3 for its license makes it NON-COMMERCIAL use only.
>>
>> (3) The Software, or any portion of it, may not be used in any commercial
>>   product without written permission from Rex Conn <rc...@jpsoft.com>
>
> I fail to understand why that's a problem.

If you're forbidden from making derivatives and redistributing them
openly, even selling them, then it's neither "open source" (OSI) nor
"Free software" (FSF).

Many online hosts (e.g. SF.net) demand open source. Even Jim Hall
doesn't want anything non-free mirrored to iBiblio anymore, if at all
possible.

It's easy to discount it as zealotry, but it really does simplify
things when you have the so-called "four freedoms" (run, study,
modify, redistribute).

FreeDOS was meant to be "free". The kernel is GPL. I realize that it's
a losing battle in some ways. Some things are probably insurmountable
(binary blobs?). Even Linux is still having as hard a time as ever.
There's just too many proprietary pieces in today's world, and they're
not going away any time soon.

You can't win everything. But we still have to try. Otherwise what's
the point? Just use Windows (and IE/Edge, MSVC, Hyper-V, Word, etc).

If there are literally no practical benefits for license restrictions,
then they should be lifted / avoided.