Hi,

On Mon, May 16, 2016 at 5:52 PM, dmccunney <dennis.mccun...@gmail.com> wrote:

> What we now face is a situation where work might *never* lapse into
> the public domain.
>
> The US is currently Life + 70 years.

Totally logical, you pinko commie swine! (extreme sarcasm)

> Canada is still Life + 50, and
> the Project Gutenberg Canada site is leading the fight to keep it that
> way.

Are you sure? I thought it was 60. I vaguely remember hearing that
_The Little Prince_ was public domain in Canada (but not U.S.).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Little_Prince#Extension_of_copyrights_in_France

Okay, this makes no sense, but who said it had to?  ;-)   I honestly
have no idea of their rationale behind this. Perhaps these kinds of
rules are meant to benefit the copyright holder's children??

> There are people making a good case it's time to simply abolish
> copyrights, as they largely no longer serve the original intended
> purpose.

Well, when the copyright holder is nowhere to be found, or it's proven
that you can't legally buy xyz anymore, then what good is
(effectively) throwing it away unused? Especially for software, which
ages faster (and thus loses value) worse than any other kind of work.