Hi,

On Thu, May 19, 2016 at 3:15 PM, Jerome E. Shidel Jr. <jer...@shidel.net> wrote:

> And, CURL is now back. It’s sources were located. I also updated it.
> Hopefully, it is not broken.
>
> CURL - Listed as GPL, IT IS NOT GPL! It is less strict and is only
> copyrighted public domain. Included.

Even the official Curl website now points to (IMO, unreliable link)
M.K.'s recent (Dec. 2015) build of 7.46.0 (while latest is 7.49.0).

AFAIK, it is not broken, it supports "SSL SSH" (according to Curl's
download page). I did, minimally, use it once or twice. I could
definitely try it again, that's not hard to do (under QEMU or VBox).

Since Curl (unwisely?) decides to point *directly* to Mik's
(unreliable) webpage, it makes me want to mirror it to iBiblio.
Certainly the (main) license is presumably okay.

The problem is making sure it has all the (third-party source)
dependencies and making sure their licenses are acceptable. Which
unfortunately is hard to do since (AFAIK) rebuilding on or for DOS is
never easy for things like that. Maybe its makefile has improved
lately, but I haven't tried. And without an official "DOS" maintainer,
it's just too hard to guess on our own for every single file.

So it's just uncertain (as are most things that are complicated),
unfortunately. So I can't put any huge confidence in it, but it's
"probably" okay (or no worse than usual, just sloppy, sigh). I'd
really hate to guess blindly or make a mistake in this area.

N.B. I should probably ignore Curl (for now) and focus on CTMOUSE.ZIP
and JEMM.ZIP tomorrow instead. I said I would "fix" those, so I need
to do that, first and foremost.

> I have spent many many many hours fixing broken and incorrect packages. At
> least for now and the foreseeable future, I think I am done fixing them. I
> will be more than happy to include the remainder once they are fixed.

It may be a lost cause. Maybe having tons of third-party packages
included is a bad idea. There probably needs to be a smaller "core" of
FreeDOS that doesn't have all the bells and whistles.