Why?
Every emulator or VM I know about will quickly install any operating
system from a virtual CD-ROM. So if you just assign the FreeDOS-ISO as
the virtual ATAPI-CDROM you will very easily install it to the virtual
Hard Disk Drive, which will be either .VHD, .VHDX (Virtual PC and
Hyper-V), .VMDK (VMware), .QCOW (QEMU) or .VDI (VirtualBox). Or any
other format.

A prepared installation will not help alot, aside from you not being
completely aware, which installation was used (full installation,
partial installation, which packages).

Also, for each emulator or VM you will require different hardware
drivers (for the virtual hardware) and integration drivers (for guest
integration).

Therefor I would suggest to better add an installation package for
FreeDOS as a guest operating system under various emulators and VMs. A
user could then just install FreeDOS and select "guest drivers and
tools" as an additional package, which would then ask "a) Virtual PC, b)
Hyper-V, c) VMware, d) VirtualBox, e) QEMU" and install+setup the
required stuff for you.

I write this because this is my experience. Installing an OS on a
virtual PC is easy, getting the drivers set up sometimes is hard work,
because you have to find those drivers first. Including them as an
installation package would be sufficiently easy for uses IMHO. Just my 2ยข.

Cheers,
userbeitrag

Original message from Don Flowers, 2016-06-20 20:45: