Hi,

On Thu, Jun 30, 2016 at 6:17 AM, Abe Mishler <a...@mishlerlabs.com> wrote:

>> On 6/29/2016 1:03 PM, Rugxulo wrote:
>
> On the page that you sent regarding QEMU Binaries for Windows, it says:
> "QEMU for Windows is experimental software and might contain even
> serious bugs, so use the binaries at your own risk."

It's just a standard disclaimer, don't read too much into it. It works
fine for me (FreeDOS). While I haven't exhaustively tested gigabytes
of software, everything I tried seems to work fairly well, no huge
obvious deficiencies. So don't worry.

The only real problem would be if it had major bugs and they refused
to hear bug reports or even consider fixing them. AFAIK, that's not
true. But indeed, I do think they prefer Linux more.

Nevertheless, several other OSes bundle Windows binaries of QEMU with
some of their releases (e.g. ReactOS, AROS), so it must also work well
for them too. So don't overreact, it works! But no software is 100%
perfect, hence some people feel the need to explicitly disclaim legal
liability, etc.

> Since QEMU is more mature on linux right now, I installed Xubuntu 16.04
> LTS inside VirtualBox (5.0.24 now) and then QEMU inside of that.

I don't think it's a billion times more mature there. QEMU is a very
complicated suite of software, for many many different architectures.
Certainly it's almost strange / funny / pointless to install QEMU
inside another OS inside VBox!

VBox works well too. If you have problems with JEMMEX, then don't run
that. Again, you really don't need it at all. Don't kid yourself, VBox
is well-tested (overall), just not as much for DOS. So FreeDOS still
(mostly) works fine there.

> FreeDOS is much peppier inside of this configuration. I will probably get
> another HD for a native Xubuntu install and skip the VBox on Win 8.1
> layer altogether.

Setup a bootable USB jump drive instead, it's probably cheaper and
easier. Okay, so technically I don't know of all the ways to make one
(DistroWatch Weekly mentioned a few ways several months ago), but IIRC
the latest Ubuntu actually recommends RUFUS (which is also well-known
for supporting FreeDOS)!

A while back I had setup a Ubuntu 14.04 jump drive (with persistence),
but it's fairly slow, so that may be a concern for you. But I don't
think it has to be that way, I just don't have the time or energy to
try billions of configurations.

antiX 13 was very good and lightning fast, and 16 was just released,
so maybe you should try that instead, it's based upon Debian.

> Side note: Since VBox was updated to 5.0.24 during this thread I decided
> to try a new installation of FreeDOS with it but had the same problem.

If JEMMEX is your only problem, then you have no problems.

>> But nothing beats running natively (on real hardware).
>>
> You're right about that. As Ulrich mentioned earlier, he uses screencast
> software to capture what he's doing. I'm interested in doing the same so
> I think FreeDOS in QEMU on linux is the way to go (for me, at this time).

Who knows, eventually there might be an official Flatpak (or Snappy?)
package that works across all the major distros. I think that will
ease deployment (instead of having billions of separate incompatible
versions).