Hi,

On Fri, Jul 8, 2016 at 10:22 AM, dos386 <dos...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> I've never used QB64 but have heard some stuff about it.
>> For one, it uses a C++ compiler as backend, no?
>
> http://www.bttr-software.de/forum/forum_entry.php?id=8785 (shots and
> links are dead, unfortunately)
> http://www.bttr-software.de/forum/forum_entry.php?id=8891

Yes, I vaguely remember, but HX trickery isn't really "DOS".

>> doing some reading on the pros/cons of FreeBASIC vs QB64
>
> EXE's from Q64 used to depend from only 8 MiO DLL bloat back in 2010
> ... no clue how far it works nowadays 6 years later.

No idea if it behaves better or not. But, again, it has no DOS port,
so it's less interesting (to me).

> AFAIK FreeBASIC still works in DOS (check the forum) ...

Yeah, it still works, I can successfully rebuild FBMD5 under QEMU with
latest FBC.   :-)

> although the DGJPP bloat is a bit frustrating.

Free Pascal is better (thanks to smartlinking and no libc dependency).