Hi,

Dennis, I wish we wouldn't have to constantly state how obsolete DOS
is and how it's horribly dead and useless. I doubt Jasenna is directly
profiting from your "obvious" advice to upgrade. (Sigh.)

On Thu, Jul 14, 2016 at 10:11 PM, Thomas Mueller <mueller6...@twc.com> wrote:

> I browsed www.rahul.net/dkaufman/  just for curiosity.  Last released version
> of DOS
> port of lynx was 2.8.5rel.1, date 18 April 2004.

There's a newer DJGPP "port" 2.8.9 since two weeks ago. Not from Doug,
though, and I'd hardly call it well-supported. Heck, I haven't even
tried it. I don't know what it supports or how well it works:

http://na.mirror.garr.it/mirrors/djgpp/current/v2tk/lynx289b.zip
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/comp.os.msdos.djgpp/5HbYKiotvcA

(irony: you probably can't see that announcement without Javascript)

(For my DOS uses, Links2 is plenty good enough.)

> Last line of this web page read:
> This page last updated 2 November 2006.

Links 2.13 (DJGPP build, mirrored to iBiblio for us) was just released
two weeks ago as well.

> I also tried www.nettamer.net/tamer.html : looked like the same old stuff
> from 1999.
>
> I checked www.glennmcc.org : latest Arachne is v1.97, dating to Mar 04, 2013.
>
> I think it might be possible to produce a DOS web browser with support for
> current web standards,

It's possible (in theory) to support some Javascript, but adding
things like HTML5 are probably out of the question.

> but would not be worthwhile on an OS that distinguishes between conventional,
> extended and
> expanded memory.

DJGPP v2 built stuff usually only sees DPMI, which behind the scenes
is based upon whatever other kind is available (EMS/VCPI, XMS, raw).
You don't have to do anything special to access it, so that is a red
herring.

> Writing a web browser is more efficient in Linux, FreeBSD, NetBSD and Haiku

FreeBSD isn't a supported target for Opera anymore (last I checked).
So how "easy" can it be if even they aren't supported? Does any
"major" web browser support Haiku? Or even eCS (OS/2)? AFAIK, no.

Face it, only the big three (billion-dollar) OSes are worth anybody's
effort anymore. Which is horribly lazy and inept, but that's the way
it is. Honestly, a web browser shouldn't be almost bigger than the OS
itself! It's a mess, but there's not much normal people can do about
it.

But it's also not fair to pretend that development just magically
happens (while whining about money, as if that solves everything).
First of all, money and developers don't grow on trees. We're lucky
when anything is supported, and it's not always guaranteed that even
Windows, Linux, and Mac are all equal in features.

> not to mention Windows and Mac, and not many people would be interested
> in web-browsing from DOS.

IE is practically dead (or so I thought) in lieu of Edge. And legacy
things (like "old" Win7) are going away. Let's not pretend that it's
really about DOS. It's more about ultra-modern advancements (which
personally I think we can live without, but nobody agrees with me).

Probably cost-efficient Android tablets or Chromebooks are the future
(though iOS is still extremely popular).

> At this stage, my interest in browsing from DOS would be mainly to see if it
> works on simpler sites,
> naturally not including any kind of online commerce.

Considering that most companies (and even individuals) are not immune
to hacks, and that this problem seems to be increasing, I think any
overzealous claims of security (on any OS) would be somewhat naive.
Not to be a pessimist, but the Internet itself may not survive if
certain groups can't keep their hands off of other peoples' goods.