Hi Tom!

As I understand it you cannot really make any use of initialized sound
hardware in DOS except for a few -- very few -- programs that are aware
of this very specific sound hardware.

You may have noticed that /back in the old days/ every program/game had
to be configured for the specific sound card in order to use it. Even
within a family of sound cards there were incompatibilities. For
example, games that ware written for Sound Blaster 1.0 (aka Game
Blaster) und Sound Blaster 2.0 were not able to produce SoundBlaster
sound on a more modern Sound Blaster Pro or Sound Blaster 16.

The reason for this is very simple: there is no standardized sound API
on DOS. So every sound card and driver created its own API and every
application has to be written to support this very sound card (series).

The only solution for /modern DOS/ would be to write an emulation for a
well supported sound card for older programs and games. That would be,
say, a SB16 emulation driver for AC97 and HD-Audio on-board sound cards.
So every DOS program/game would see the well supported SB16 and -- if
supported by this very program or game -- would be able to use it
through the emulation. I think this is how DOSBox does support sound.

If you do find a practical solution though -- I would be interested too!

Cheers,
userbeitrag