Hi Ella,

> I run Win 3.1 under DosBox. It's effortless. Just install and go.
>
> I use FreeDOS for as much free as I can muster (except
> WordPerfect. I'm a lifer with that software. :) )
>
> Ella

This is probably related to DosBox simulating a DOS and suitable
hardware instead of running a full FreeDOS on real hardware :-)

If you like WordPerfect, then you may want to try JOE "Joe's Own
Editor" or SETEDIT, which officially supports use inside DOS:

http://setedit.sourceforge.net/#scrnsht

You can run FreeDOS in DosBox if you use a disk image, as far as
I remember. I assume that Win 3.1 would run worse then, as you
will start having the real problems of less simulation then.

As mentioned before, if you already have Windows or Linux, it is
easier to run Windows programs directly in Windows or WINE without
installing the ancient Windows 3.1 and running that from FreeDOS.

However, it would be cool to have some sort of how-to for making
Windows 3.1 (or even Windows for Workgroups 3.11) work in 386enh
mode on real (or simulated) hardware with a full installation of
FreeDOS. As Windows is very picky about proper conditions to run
in 386enh mode, such as drivers and amount of memory available,
this needs some Windows and FreeDOS expert advice to be done.

Has somebody succeeded in using 386enh mode of Windows WITHOUT the
help of Dosemu or Dosbox? Then I would like to hear how it works :-)

Thanks! Eric