On Sat, Apr 21, 2018 at 2:30 PM, Dale E Sterner <sunbeam...@juno.com> wrote:
> Yes I would purchase their updates; I already have
> most of their stuff and use.it. They were a cut above
> the rest of the dos software and I think they still
> have users out there. I have MS Word 6 for dos;
> what a real piece of junk..

I know *you* would purchase updates.  I just don't think the market is
big enough to make it worth *making* updates to the DOS apps.  The
sales of updates wouldn't cover a fraction of the costs of making
them, let alone make actual money,

> I wouldn't expect big dos sales but I think their fans
> would be after it but not big time.

I'd hardly expect *any* DOS sales.  Who would *buy* it?

Such things are only useful to you if you have a working DOS system
where you can run them native, or if you run them in some sort of
virtual machine like VdosPlus.

But if you need a spreadsheet at all, you run Excel under Windows, or
Open Office/Libre Office Calc under Linux, OS/X or Windows, or a
standalone cross platform spreadsheet like Gnumeric, or you work
online through something like Google Sheets.  (And *all* of the
non-Excel solutions above can read and write Excel format worksheets.
Like it or not, Excel is the standard everyone must adhere to.)

> Wordperfert 6.2 had alot of advanced features that
> you wouldn't expect to see in dos like the matheditor

And Windows programs also have such features, so you don't need to run
WP 6.2 to get them.

> I use qpro alot; I like to tease my brother in law
> that I use turbodos for taxes He's like you only wants
> the latest MS junk.

No, I don't just want the latest MS junk.  You obviously haven't been
paying attention when I talk about what I run here.  I have an older
version of MS Office, but the only component I use is Publisher for
the odd DTP project, because I know how to make it do what I want.
For WP, spreadsheets and the like, I use Libre Office, and some stuff
happens online with Google Docs/Sheets.  (In those instances, I am
collaborating with others, and we need access to the same files.)

I still have some ancient DOS stuff I run under emulation, but that's
a hobby thing done for fun.  I do not and *cannot* use DOS as my
production OS and DOS apps as my main applications.  To much of what I
do can't be *done* under DOS.

If you love QPro, fine.  If you can still use a DOS system and DOS
applications to do what you need to do, more power to you.  But if you
can, you are one of a *very* small number of people.  The rest of us
cannot.  And if you think there are a whole lot of people Just Like
You who can (or *want* to) do everything in DOS - enough to make it
worth while to maintain and sell DOS programs - I fear you are living
in a dream world.  The rest of the world has moved on.

> DS
______
Dennis
 ..

> On Thu, 19 Apr 2018 17:48:13 -0400 dmccunney <dennis.mccun...@gmail.com>
> writes:
>> On Thu, Apr 19, 2018 at 2:12 PM, Dale E Sterner <sunbeam...@juno.com>
>> wrote:
>> > I wouldn't expect them to ever release the source but
>> > to put it back on the market for sale, like it use to be.
>> > Not everthing can be open and free. If you tell them you
>> > have a million downloads they may feel there is once
>> > again a viable market for their product and will sell
>> > and upgrade their dos line. I thing that Corel still has
>> > alot of dos fans out there. I think alot of people miss
>> > the simplicity and practicality of dos. Don't expect the
>> > world to be completely free. DOS isn't worth much
>> > without high quality software to run on it
>>
>> I wouldn't expect release of source, either, though it would be
>> nice.
>> But neither would I expect release for sale. Who would *buy* it?
>> DOS
>> has been dead for years, and I doubt there would be enough paying
>> customers to make sales worth the while.  Actually *selling* stuff
>> involves costs to be *able* to sell it, and unless you are confident
>> of a decent sales volume, it's not worth doing.
>>
>> Yes, FreeDOS 1.1 has gotten a million downloads, but that, by
>> itself,
>> is meaningless.  How many of the downloaders actually installed it,
>> and on what?  How many are actually using it, and what are they
>> doing
>> with it if they are?  (My own bet is that most actually using it are
>> doing do to play old DOS games *native*, not use stuff like WP or
>> QPro.)
>>
>> Best case, you get what Embarcadero once did.  They inherited the
>> former Borland DOS products like Turbo-C, and were offering them as
>> unsupported freeware downloads from a community link on their site.
>> There was no *paying* market for the DOS stuff, but making it
>> available was a nice gesture and good publicity for the Windows
>> based
>> stuff they could *sell*.
>>
>> > cheers
>> > DS.