Hi,

On Wed, May 1, 2019, 5:52 PM ZB <zbigniew2...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > DJGPP builds are much easier to maintain because DJGPP is a mostly
> > compatible gcc/GNU environment.
>
> Not sure why that compatibility is relevant?

We're talking about the host platform, not the target. Yes, you can still
assemble with NASM (or YASM or FASM) for 8086 target, but none of those
assemblers themselves can (easily) be rebuilt to run hosted on 16-bit
machines anymore.

DJGPP is 32-bit pmode, DPMI. Also, NASM has required C99 compiler support
for many years, which almost none of the pre-existing 16-bit compilers
support (even OpenWatcom is incomplete).

It's not that big a deal. 386 compatibles have been around for decades. I
just wanted to briefly mention that there were 16-bit NASM builds back in
the day since some of us are still sympathetic (at least in theory).

N.B. The 8088 [sic] turns 40 this year. That's the one the original IBM PC
used.