Hi Eric,

Eric Auer <e.a...@jpberlin.de> ezt írta (időpont: 2019. máj. 23., Cs, 23:47):

> Hi Samuel,
>
> > You can get another compatible laptop with CD just for installations.
>
> Actually DOS is much less hardware-specific than for example Windows.
> So you could indeed plug the harddisk of the laptop into "any normal"
> computer (after disconnecting other disks in it!) and install DOS "on"
> that other computer, but then put the harddisk back into the laptop.
>
> > You can have many disks and just plug the one you need like a game
> > cartridge.
>
> You expect that USB works, but given that at least booting from USB
> does not work, support for USB disks on the laptop seems to be limited.
>
> > You can just run FORMAT /S to copy a minimal FreeDOS bootable system,
>
> I strongly recommend to run SYS manually (after FORMAT, in case you
> need to format the disk) instead of using FORMAT /S which implicitly
> runs SYS but is much less flexible than manual invocation of SYS
> where you can play with various command line options. Also, you may
> want to reboot between formatting and running SYS anyway.
>
> > then copy other programs with a laptop ATA USB enclosure.
>
> Again, USB support in DOS is unlikely to work out of the box on that
> old laptop which cannot boot from USB. You would at least have to
> install USB drivers before you can copy anything from USB sticks or
> USB harddisks.
>
> But maybe I misunderstand you. You can install a basic FreeDOS on the
> laptop, then unplug the harddisk of the laptop and put it into an USB
> enclosure. You can then plug the USB enclosure to another computer and
> manually copy additional DOS programs to the laptop harddisk. When you
> are done, you can take the harddisk out of the USB enclosure and put
> it back into the laptop, indeed.
>
> Regards, Eric

I did followings.
Boot the old laptop from FreeDos floppy.
Format the HDD from FreeDos.
Create a partition on HDD ( 4 GB is the whole HDD ).
Reboot.
Run SYS to copy system files from booted floppy to hdd.
Run xcopy to copy files from FreeDos floppy to FreeDos HDD.

Now I have the basic FreeDos on HDD.

--
Best, Pali