Hi Eric!
Thank you for your helpful suggestions! While they may ultimately come
in handy if all else fails, I was actually hoping, coming from
operating system A, that I would not have to familiarize myself with
operating system C first in order to then use operating system B. In
fact, since I don't really feel confident enough to install Linux
natively on my machine alongside Windows 10, again I would need to go
the virtual route, only now with an additional step of indirection,
namely, Dosemu2 running on Linux running on Windows. Is that even
viable, by the way?
On a related note, how does Dosemu actually stack up compared to
FreeDOS in a virtual machine? Is Dosemu2 considered mature enough to
be an alternative to FreeDOS, or is it, like Dosbox, an attempt at
getting DOS-like behavior from a non-DOS machine without doing actual
deep virtualization?
Can FreeDOS genuinely run inside Dosemu2, and is there any
documentation on how to get it up and running on an existing Linux
system?
All the best,
Felix