Hi Felix,

actually Linux and Windows are rather similar to use
for sighted people, just click around in menus. While
it is possible to have speech or Braille (if you use
that?) already on during the install, I would feel a
lot safer with having separate machines for separate
operating systems. Or at least separate harddisks.

Another option would be to install Linux inside some
virtual machine in Windows. That way you avoid stress
regarding the risk of damaging your Windows and you
can use the Windows speech output during the install
in case it is hard to enable the Linux speech output
early enough.

However, I see no general problem with running dosemu2
inside Linux inside a virtual machine inside Windows.
Dosemu2 is between a virtual machine and a specialized
environment for DOS, so you get more realistic results
compared to Dosbox which usually simulates even DOS and
at the same time you get less troubles with DOS because
dosemu2 already includes custom tricks to help with the
integration. So it is both better than dosbox and easier
than using a complete virtual machine. For example, you
can use a Linux directory as dosemu drive, while virtual
machines only allow disk images. Of course dosemu also
allows disk images, you can mix both styles.

Virtual machines usually come with drivers for guest
operating systems to improve integration, but those
are not usually available for DOS. We do have a small
number of drivers for DOS for selected virtual machines
and maybe somebody else can post an overview here.

I think it is easier to use Linux as guest in a virtual
machine in Windows: Then you can have some virtual drive
and network sharing (drivers for Linux exist) to make
Linux easier to use. From there, you can run DOS inside
dosemu2, which as far as I know is not directly available
for Windows. I would not exclude the possibility, though.

You can also try a variety of virtual machines for Windows:
Some may work better for running DOS and some may connect
better to your Windows speech synthesizer and if you are
lucky, some have both advantages at the same time. Maybe
somebody else can share some thoughts here.

Dosemu2 is not an alternative to FreeDOS: It just is some
environment optimized for running DOS. It usually comes
with a version of FreeDOS pre-installed, along with some
dosemu-specific drivers. Of course you can and should
extend and upgrade the installed FreeDOS from there on.

Classic dosemu is usually available pre-packaged in your
software management in Linux. Because everything is free
and open, you basically just check the checkbox in the
list of available packages to install it. In text style,
things could be "apt-get install dosemu" or similar. A
default configuration file will be created in your home
directory when you start using dosemu. You can edit the
file to add drives (disk images or Linux directories)
or modify settings (for example sound or net related).
Note that dosemu originally has been using vm86 mode in
32 bit Linux, which gives good performance. Because vm86
is not easily accessible in 64 bit systems, it uses built
in CPU emulation there.

The use of vm86 interfaces and similar goodies also is
the reason why I expect dosemu to not be available as
app for native Windows, but I might be mistaken.

You say you redirect the serial port of DOS inside
dosbox to a Windows simulation of a serial port speech
synth. Is that for nostalgic reasons? I would expect it
to be easier to tell any Windows speech synth to read
the text shown on your DOS text screen in dosbox?

At least for dosemu, as said, you can use it in a plain
text mode which even works over telnet or ssh connections
so it should be easy to let a speech Synth read those.

As you mention Orca in Ubuntu: That would be a Linux
which has dosemu in the list of default available apps.

Regards, Eric

PS: Do I understand you correctly that there are DOS TSR
which analyze graphical DOS screens, extract texts and
then output those on the serial port for speech synths?