On Tue, Apr 28, 2020 at 9:07 AM Eric Auer <e.a...@jpberlin.de> wrote:

> Hi Mattia,
>
> if I understand you correctly, you cannot transfer data
> from an old harddisk on your IBM PS/2 computer to the
> new system, because the PS/2 floppy drive is broken?
>
> In that case, it probably does not help to suggest tools
> for data transfer because you can not copy them to PS/2.
>
> Wikipedia says PS/2 was the first to support normal 1.44 MB
> 3.5 inch floppy drives, so maybe you just organize one of
> those for it? You will probably have to update some jumpers,
> but it should be possible to find your PS/2 model handbook.
>
> It also says PS/2 support ESDI or SCSI harddisks, as opposed
> to ST506 in PC XT and PC AT. Technical reference for ESDI:
>
> http://www.mcamafia.de/pdf/ibm_esdi_trm.pdf
>
> (in case somebody made some custom ESDI access gadgets)
>
> Which harddisk controllers does your PS/2 have? Old SCSI
> disks might still be around somewhere, in case it would
> be possible to connect a second disk to copy data. I would
> not take that risk. Replacing the floppy sounds better.
>
> And as always, be careful, have backups and keep docs :-)
> Regards, Eric
>
> PS: You may also transfer some data over the serial port,
> using a null modem cable and default software, like COPY
> to COM1, possibly combined with DEBUG to convert to text.
> This will be tedious and slow. Maybe for important data.

Hi Mattia,

If you have a serial port available on the PS/2 system you can bootstrap
the DOS version of FastLynx via a serial port using the MODE/CTTY commands
(similar to INTERLNK/INTERSRV).  I've had good luck with this on XT
machines where the floppy drive was questionable at best.

Instructions for this process are described in detail here:
http://www.minuszerodegrees.net/transfer/fastlynx33/fastlynx33_serial.htm

When i purchased FastLynx 3.3 last year it still included version 2.01
along with it.
https://sewelldirect.com/products/fastlynx-3-3-software-only-electronic-download

Best Regards,
--