On 03/05/2020 15:48, Ralf Quint wrote:
On 5/3/2020 1:49 AM, Ian Park wrote:
Good morning

Over the past few days I've progressed as far as installing FreeDOS 1.2 on an old PC (HP Deskpro low profile, 1700MHz Pentium, 512MB RAM, 20GB HDD, CD ROM drive). Still early stages, I'm finding my way around before I try to move on to connecting to a network (but that's another story...).

I've hit an oddity; FreeDOS doesn't recognise the backslash (\) key on my USB UK keyboard. The other two PCs to which I connect it through a USB sharing switch (the one which I'm using to compose this email, running Linux Mint, and another running Windows 10) both recognise it. When I get time I'll try the US keyboard driver to see whether that recognises the \ key, but fairly obviously that would be rather less than ideal, since it's a UK keyboard!

Can anyone offer a suggestion to deal with this problem, please?

Which keyboard "driver" are you loading? With which parameters and where is it loaded?

For all non-US ASCII keyboards, you need to load "KEYB" in autoexec.bat, for a UK keyboard this would be "keyb UK"

Ralf

Hi Ralf (I deduce from the time difference that it's "good morning" with you...)

Thank you for the pointer. I checked my autoexec.bat, and as set up when I installed FreeDOS it loaded mkeyb UK in conventional memory. I tried replacing mkeyb with KEYB and restarted (even a full shutdown and power up again, to make sure), but the \ key still didn't respond. I noticed that autoexec.bat has a line

REM KEYB US,858,%dosdir%\bin\keyboard.sys

I tried pasting the extra characters into the line for KEYB UK & restarted, but still no joy. I suspect that I would need to climb into the keyboard map file to deal with this, but it's so long since I did anything vaguely serious with DOS (my first ever PC was at work: an IBM XT with a magnificent 10MB hard drive...) that I can't remember where to start looking... I'll have to rake around with DuckDuckGo...

Best regards

Ian

--
Ian Park