Hi, TK,

On Sun, May 31, 2020 at 9:37 AM TK Chia <u1049321...@caramail.com> wrote:

> Thank you for the information.  Building on Spinellis's work, I managed
> to get the source files to build under JWasm and JWlink,

Thank you. I never understand when people prefer ancient MASM over modern JWasm.

> after some source code munging (https://github.com/tkchia/GW-BASIC).
> Many of the needed OEM-specific routines are (still) simply missing from the
> sources
> though, and must be filled in somehow.

What exactly does "semi-working" mean? It seems like graphics commands
aren't supported? That's no biggie (IMHO) as long as it can do simple
file I/O.

I'll admit, I'm no BASIC guru (I prefer Pascal), so my skills are
limited. But I'm still sympathetic (mostly to QBASIC and FreeBASIC).
Well, your build of this is the only interesting thing so far!

On a side note, you're using GNU Make and AWK (to cross-build?). I do
wonder if DJGPP Make (or even other AWK implementations) would work
for us here.

* https://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/utilities/awk.html
* https://www.gnu.org/software/gawk/manual/
* http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/files/util/unix/awk/

So no, I haven't tried rebuilding this (yet?), and I'm no *nix fiend,
but I do think AWK is a cool tool, maybe cooler than GW-BASIC (don't
kill me!).