I have an 865GV ICH5 chipset.  There is SATA ehanced mode yes/no and that's it
in the bios.
You can map SATA to primary or secondary IDE, but that's all you can do.

I tried saying YES to SATA Enhanced mode and primary for IDE mapping SATA to
Secondary, didn't
work in 98se.  I could see about getting a PATA DVD RAM drive or even a PATA CD
drive or I suppose
I could trying plugging in a USB drive.