Hi Dan - and welcome to the list!

I think the wiki is a good place to start:
http://wiki.freedos.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

The "DOS Commands" list is probably a good wiki page to review:
http://wiki.freedos.org/wiki/index.php/Dos_commands

You might also want to look at the FreeDOS Help page:
http://help.fdos.org/en/index.htm

And I wrote an article for OpenSource about a "Gentle Introduction to
FreeDOS" that might be a good place to start, especially coming from Linux:
https://opensource.com/article/18/4/gentle-introduction-freedos

Also, check out some of the videos on the FreeDOS YouTube channel. I've
been recording videos there for the last year or so. There's a "Using
FreeDOS" playlist that has several videos you'll find helpful to get
started:
https://www.youtube.com/freedosproject

And I'm thinking about starting a new effort to clean up our documentation
and make it easier to read, especially for folks who are new to FreeDOS. So
there's probably more to come!

Jim