On Mon, Aug 31, 2020 at 3:47 PM ZB <zbigniew2...@gmail.com> wrote:

<...>

Recall that in  the old days, DOS *COMMAND.COM* did not have command
line recall and edito\ing.  To get it, you installed a TSR that added
it.  There were a number of them.

One of the most popular was Chris Dunford's CED.  The following from
the CED docs is relevant:

"CED is active either at the DOS prompt, or when an application
program requests buffered keyboard input from DOS (DOS function 0AH).
There are a few such programs (DEBUG and EDLIN are two); but the main
use of CED is at the DOS prompt."

Do you use a TSR command line editor in your DOS sessions?  If you do,
DEBUG might already have a lot of what you like because the TSR
command editor is active in it.

FreeDOS includes JPSoftware's 4DOS COMMAND.COM replacement, but I tend
to load a DOS TSR command editor high in a DOS session, so it's
available if I shell out of the DOS app, which may not have memory
left when shelled out to reload 4DOS.,
______
Dennis