Hi again!

> I was just pondering whether it was possible to squeeze any sound out of
> that gear using the tool like this one http://www.georgpotthast.de/dossound/
> or any other similar

This is an AC97 driver which provides a special interface
to output sound. For sound with old games, you will instead
need something which provides a SoundBlaster simulation.

Also, the EEE PC has ALC662 as sound chip, which is HDA
instead of AC97. So unless you want to run DOS inside a
dosemu2 window inside Linux, the only sound you will get
with classical DOS games, if any at all, is PC Speaker
sound. I would be curious to know whether EEE PC has it!

About the SSD: The smallest you can get in 2.5 inch SATA
(the EEE PC in question is a model with harddisk) would
be 120 GB at the moment. Enough for DOS and low cost.

Expect Linux to be slow on a single core, slow Atom CPU,
but with XFCE or the even more basic LXDE, it should be
bearable. You mention having 2 GB RAM, which is 8 times
more than the smallest EEE PC, so that should be okay ;-)

A hint for the graphics: I assume you have the 1024x600
screen, so you could use MODE to work towards 720x400
text mode, which has similar aspect ratio, then use the
built-in zoom feature of the EEE PC. For common DOS game
resolutions, you will probably have quite some black bars
or distortion depending on your rescale approaches.

Regards, Eric

PS: You will probably have a bit less than 640 kB of DOS
memory size (some reserved by SATA or similar controller
data by the BIOS) and less space for UMB / EMS page frame.
Try JEMM386 NOEMS if no EMS 3.2 needed, EMS 4.0 remains.