So I finally got a little more time to play around with this thing... but still
no luck. For reference the interface is an ID2CF from Startech.com
(https://www.startech.com/en-us/hdd/ide2cf) and the CF card itself is a 16GB
no-name. I've tried messing with both FreeDOS 1.2 and 1.3-RC3 but had the same
luck with both.

When I boot up my machine (Dell P3 at a blazing 600MHz) it does see the disk in
during POST as:

Fixed Disk 0: CF CARD-(PM)
ATAPI CD-ROM: LG CD-RW CED-80000-(SM)

After the CD grinds for a bit I get to this screen:

FreeDOS kernel 2042 (build 2042 EOM:0xfd) [compiled May 11 2016]
Kernel compatibility 7.10 - WATCOMC - FAT32 support

(C) Copyright blah blah blah

- InitDiskWARNING: using suspect partition Pri:1 FS 0b: with calculated values
2-2-33 instead of 4-4-1
WARNING: Partition ID does not suggest LBA - part Pri:1 FS 0b.
Please run FDISK to correct this - using LBA to access partition.
start 2-2-33, end 4440-8-48
C: HD1, Pri[ 1], CHS= 2-2-33, start= 1MB, size=2048MB

After that it trundles on until it gets to the "C: is not partition, do you
want to do that now?" screen I tell it yes and I *think* I see a message about
something terminated but it only flashes on the screen for a split second.

After that it says it needs to reboot but then I end up down the same path in
the installer. If I tell it I want to go back to DOS and I try doing any of
these: "fdisk" or "fdisk 0" or "fdisk /fprmpt" or "fdisk /dump" I end up with
the same error

Error Reading Hard Disk:

Function number or drive not permitted.

Program Terminated.

I don't have a way to test the IDE to CF interface elsewhere but I can put the
CF card in a reader and attach it to either a Linux laptop or a Win10 desktop
and it shows up just fine in either case. I've currently got the CF card
partitioned to having only a 2GB primary partition. On the Linux I tried to
partition it via cfdisk (W95 FAT32 LBA) and set it to be bootable before
writing out the partition. I also did roughly the same thing via gparted but
that didn't have any more favorable results.

This machine does have a 3GB IDE spinning disk (with FreeDOS 1.2) in it but
I've got to think that it's of a vintage that it may or may not last much
longer. I don't have any reason to believe it's having a problem but it's going
on perhaps 15 years so I know it won't last forever and I figured I'd get a
jump on getting this updated where I can. I did try booting off of the spinning
disk and making the CF card the slave instead of the master (or
primary/secondary depending on how you feel about such things). Both the
spinning and the CF showed up during POST but I wasn't able to use fdisk (or
fdisk131) to get to the CF card... although doing an fdisk /dump did show 8
potential disks with only the first one having anything to say for itself (as
that's where the spinning disk is).

Thanks,
Greg