I had always assumed that it was a whale because other operating systems are
large and bloated and a whale would be irony.

________________________________
From: Jim Hall <jh...@freedos.org>
Sent: Sunday, 7 February 2021 11:12 PM
To: Discussion and general questions about FreeDOS.
<freedos-user@lists.sourceforge.net>
Subject: Re: [Freedos-user] What is the FreeDOS fish?

In another thread, Bryan asked:

On Sat, Feb 6, 2021 at 10:11 PM Bryan Kilgallin
<kilgal...@iinet.net.au<mailto:kilgal...@iinet.net.au>> wrote:
[..]
By the way, what is the origin/meaning of the obese fish logo?

The FreeDOS fish mascot is named Blinky. The short story behind this is I
wanted to have a mascot for FreeDOS. I just thought "GNU has a gnu, BSD has the
daemon, Linux has the penguin .. FreeDOS should have a mascot too."

I wasn't sure what mascot to choose. I liked the idea of a seal, and imagined
the Linux penguin and the FreeDOS seal hanging out together. I also really
liked lemurs, so I had the idea that the FreeDOS mascot could be a lemur.

At the time, people contributed images and web buttons and all kinds of things
for the FreeDOS website. People also contributed new logo ideas. One developer
contributed a kind of FreeDOS mascot with hands and feet. (If you have seen the
original "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" cartoony mascot of the smiling
green ball - the mascot kind of looked like that.) I thought that blue ball
mascot was neat.

Instead, we chose a fish. A developer named Mike Green contributed a FreeDOS
logo that used a "fish outline" and said that the fish represented freedom. I
put that logo in the "contrib" directory on the website with all the other
contributed stuff. A while later, Bas Snabilie saw that contributed fish logo,
and contributed his own fish - a cartoony FreeDOS fish mascot. I really liked
Bas's fish, and I put it on the website.

We later dubbed him "Blinky" because of his one big googly eye. Blinky doesn't
have gills, but he really is a fish.